Food Products Seasonal Recipes and their Nutritional Values
Makar SankrantSesame Seed is eaten in this month as it is supposed to be a hot food. In Maharashtra, it is the sign of prosperity and good bonding between people, when given to each other with Jaggery. Nutritionally Sesame seeds (Til) is very rich in Calcium, Protein and when combined with Jaggery, it has a very good combination of all vital nutrients needed for growth, pregnancy and healthy bones.
|Sesame Seeds (Til)||½ cup|
|Roasted Groundnuts||3 tsp|
|Jaggery ( soft variety used to make chikki)||½ cup|
|Ghee for greasing||½ tsp|
- Toast sesame seeds till they are light golden brown. Cool them and keep them aside.
- Heat the Ghee in a pan and add Jaggery to it.
- Simmer over a slow flame till it caramelised and forms a hard ball when you add a drop in coldwater.
- Add the roasted Til and groundnut and mix it thoroughly with the melted Jaggery. The gas flame needs to be put off at this time.
- When this is ready pour the entire mixture on the greased Thali. Roll it out into thin sheets using a greased rolling pin.
- When it cools down, cut into square pieces and store in air tight container
|Amount (gm.)(one square Chikki )||Energy(kcal)||Protein(gm.)||Calcium(mg)||Iron(mg)|